Monday, December 20, 2010

I have been Swapped!!

So I participated in 20something bloggers blog swap! I have never done of of these before so I was a little worried, It’s basically both of us taking over the other person’s blog for a day. Guest posting at the same time lol. I was really lucky to be randomly paired with a Wonderful young lady named Devon and we swapped blogs for the day! Now if you want to read mine head on over to Devon’s Wonderful Blog Answering Oliver.

Devon is a very smart 23 year old! She is debt free and writes on what she plans to do with her “Wild and precious life.”   She runs marathons, goes on cruises and skydives! 

So with out further ado: Here is what Devon had to say!

Like Angel, I’ve never done a blog swap before, but I figured I would try something new and perhaps learn something in the process! I think the topic 20 Something Bloggers gave us to write about may help give both of us a kick in the butt to take action on things we’ve been meaning to do, and that’s awesome.

The simple answer to the question, "What will you do next year that you've been putting off for too long?" is: Move out of my mom's house! But answers to questions like that are rarely simple, and there's a little more to it than that.

I've lived at home for one year and four months. I graduated from college with both credit card and student loan debt, and I didn't want to carry that anywhere else once I moved out. With my mom's advice and encouragement, I managed to get rid of all my debt by July 2010. Ever since then, I've been saving up money to move out, and I've just signed a rental agreement on a townhouse with two of my good friends.

Next comes the part where I actually have to move all my stuff! I have my essentials at my mom's house (bed, clothes, books and other personal items), and quite a bit more at my dad's place (furniture left over from my college apartment, boxes of photos, yearbooks and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten about). When I moved out of my college apartment, I just threw everything I owned into boxes, even if it was complete junk. I guarantee that when I round up all this stuff to move, I’ll be going, “What the heck is that?!?”

I don't want to move all this stuff. I don't want all this stuff, period.

So what I'll finally do that I've been meaning to do is go through that stuff and get rid of anything that (a) I don't currently use, or (b) doesn't have legitimate sentimental value.

I don't want to lug boxes of junk around from place to place just for the sake of hanging on to stuff that I might need or want "someday." Someday is now. I'd love to weed out everything that's unnecessary to my life and donate it all to Goodwill for the benefit of people who will actually use it. I’d love to feel the burden of all that stuff lift away.

It's not necessarily a fun or quick task – hence why I've put it off for one year and four months! – but the end result will be worth it. At some point, I want to travel around the world for at least 6 months, maybe a year or more. The less stuff I’ll have to worry about leaving behind and storing somewhere, the better!

To me, having less stuff – everything I need and nothing I don't – means having more freedom. I’ll take that over having a bunch of stuff any day.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...